File cabinets evolved as a result of huge bundles of documents and files which were stored haphazardly. There were pigeonholes which were drilled on walls which were along the office and this used to lead to not only mismanagement, lack of efficiency but also to documents being lost and misplaced. Earlier people used to install the vertical cabinets in their office for storing important files. But these wooden cabinets were heavy weight and they could easily be affected by rust and dust. Now you can install the metal cabinets for storing files and documents in your office. These cabinets are steady and they can provide you different kinds of drawers to store separate files and documents. Apart from that, these cabinets are available with digital locking system which can provide you utmost security measurement.
Different kinds of cabinets and their unique features:
- Vertical cabinets allow arranging of files from back to front and these have more length than width. These have deep drawers and come with 2 or 4 drawers. These take less space and are cheaper. They are good for mass storage and for storage of standard size documents. The advantages of this style are that it is the cheapest and it is very durable. These cabinets also take up more length than width and so less space is occupied.
- Lateral cabinets allow filing side to side through the entire length and the user gets view of the side of the file. These have more width than the length and the drawers are shallow. They look more professional and these are called side fillers. These have either 2 or 5 drawers and they come in various lengths such as 32, 36 or even 42 inches in length. There are hinges which are inside the cabinet where file folders can be hung. These need more space and are more costly.
- Fire rated cabinets are used for critical documents which need to be protected against fires and are made of materials which are fire resistant.
- Mechanical systems: These are rolling cabinets and when a person needs a file, they need to roll the cabinet apart or make an aisle. These are good when there is limited floor space. The files can easily be accessed and stored.
- Mobile cabinets: These have small wheels and can be fitted or moved under desks. These provide very easy access as well as are cheap however; they have less amount of storage.
Plan file cabinets are those that have a lot of storage capacity. The capacity is even more than the lateral cabinets. It can be used for documents which even are A0, B1 or A1 sizes.
Different kinds of metals which are used for designing office cabinets:
- Steel: These cabinets have the advantage of being fully assembled. These are durable and sturdy as well. The only disadvantage is that they can get dented on moving or due to rough use. High quality steel cabinets do not get corroded, or get affected due to rust, thus providing better longevity.
- Wood: These either are made of solid wood or have a melamine surface. They are expensive and they could get infested with termites.
- Plastic: These are cheap but they are not durable. They also offer no security against fire but come in a variety of colors, textures and finishes.
So now you can decide about the preferable cabinets for your office and when you choose the cabinets, you need to consider the locking system, durability, warranty, stylish look and the capacity of the cabinets. The cabinets need to be designed with several drawers and racks, where you can store the documents and files securely.